Sunday, January 6

London Bridge is Falling Down...

On my flight back from London, I wasn’t sure if I should cry because it was over, or if I should be happy – I was going “home.” This was the first major treat to self since I got a job – and has got to be the best holiday ever. Meeting the boy was better than expected – nothing had changed. It’s like resuming from paused – play. Yes, the city was cold and gray but it was a welcome change from the bright or rainy Singapore! What I loved about London was its imperfections and its history – the rickety Tube, the beautiful low rise buildings, the super expensive EVERYTHING, Thames, the tourist attractions, the not-so attractive places, the trains, the ales, the cold – everything! I clicked pictures like an Asian tourist and then gave up because the camera wasn’t enough. I tried to shut as much as I could in my eyes, to relive later.

I walked the streets, heard the carolers, held the warm chocolate, hugged the boy, learnt to read maps, and say Cheers, drank everyday (to stay warm, no DUH), and smiled till my jaws hurt. For the first 3-4 days, it seemed surreal – that a plan made over 10 seconds had materialized. I loved London, I can see myself there, living in and loving it, which is more that what I can say about Singapore.

But what I truly fell for was Oxford. It really was love at first sight, the mist, the paved roads, the old buildings and the numerous stories they told. It is the perfect place to get lost in and be inspired by. The gray steel and glass structures of my university inspired me enough to ditch my major at first instance – and the cathedrals and towers of this university-town made me re-think my plans and wonder what it’ll take to study there. I’m working on it already!

Then came the unexpected treat – a group of friends so warm and loving that you’d think we’ve known each other forever – except it was over a few hours. Giggles hosted me at her place and the next forty eight hours were a non stop party with amazing food, juvenile games and lots of warmth. It was enough to make this cynic shed her cloak and be loving again. On my way back, I bring back more than just souveniers and photographs – I bring back a dozen invites and the belief that yes people can be friendly with no hidden motives.

So old friends and new, they say. Next was the old friends – at Scotland, which I shall save for another post.

Yes, I may sound infatuated and I am raving on n on – but it’s one hell of an excuse to be smiling non-stop – don’t you think?

1 comment:

sherene said...

"Yes, I may sound infatuated and I am raving on n on – but it’s one hell of an excuse to be smiling non-stop – don’t you think?"

Indeed :) Keep psoting, i'm reading on n on too ;)