Tuesday, November 22

Flying trapeze

I finally managed to step up on the trapeze. Phew, I made it. Hah, that wasnt too bad, now was it. Just had to balance a little, and climb the fragile steps. Looked around. All seats full, everyone ready for the finale. The Flying Trapeze. They turn off the lights. For some strange reason, everytime they turn off the lights for the finale, the audience quiets down. I guess its something psychological about the opaque darkness. The hush is creepy. Someone sneeze, cough, whistle. Tell me you're here. The frozen silence is too much. I can feel all the eyes on me. I know you're watching. I know its the finale, I know you want your money's worth. But please, rustle, cough, clear your throat. something. anything. tell me I'm performing for real people. with real expectations.

The impatience in the air, nudges me to start. It's about time. I take a deep breath, remind myself that I've done this so many times before. Its only flying, and grabbing the other trapeze. All of them before me could do it, so can I. Oh come on, how long are you gonna keep them waiting. Just go for it. There is really no turning back now. What are you so scared of. You did this before, on your own. N if anything, there's always the safety net to fall on. Last deep breath. Jump.

Halfway through a somersault, in mid air, I remember, this is the closing act. The finale.

There is no safety net.

No comments: