Thursday, September 1

Namesake

I started reading "Namesake" by Jhumpa Lahiri on tuesday, and finished it last night. Thats why no post ystd! Loved the book! I love the way she writes. Its not too flowery or pretentious like Rushdie, and lets the reader connect to the book instantly. In her collection of short stories, and in Namesake, both, she writes about Indians, or more specifically, Bengali's who have moved to the US or UK and how they eventually adapt themselves to these new surroundings and cultures. Her attention to small details, such as food, clothing, aromas, etc. make you a part of the book, an active participant, rather than a laid back, external reader! The simplicity of her writing style, and the characters charmed me the most and kept me reading till I finished it at 4 am. N then left me sad, cuz it was over! That femme has to write more books!!!!!
Oh n I also saw *Bewitched*! Horrible horrible horrible movie! Kidman is cute, but the movie as a whole is pathetic! I am so glad I didnt watch it in the theaters and ended up watching *Valiant* cuz of a stubborn certain someone! *Valiant* btw, was adorable! STUPID, but adorable! :)
Now gonna start reading *Freedom at Midnight* by Collins and Lapierre! It was highly recommended by my bro when I asked him to suggest some books on India! I just realized one day that I know very little about my own country, and its high time I did some reading about it! Particularly intersted in the late 1940's and India after independence!
(...to be continued...)

1 comment:

sherene said...

Love "Namesake" oh-so-much!
I must review the book on my blog too, after my blood report :P