Thursday, September 15

A grown up little girl

Poised, sophisticated, classy, etc. are words that I don't think I'll ever be able to use to describe myself! I bite my nails, I don't talk about world issues at social gatherings, and I get excited about the smallest of things!

There, confessed it all. Mature and independent, I am, agreed. But my *little girl's* enthusiam over "trivial" things *, talktative nature, and tendency to make friends with and talk to strangers often makes people write me off as the little girl who has yet to grow up!

So when I turned twenty - one, I resolved that its time to act my age, which basically meant not doing any of the above-mentioned things. I tried, but like just became bland! Life is busy and tough enough the way it is, and if you take away the little joys of life, then there isn't much left to keep you going through the day, is there? I could never really figure out what was the 'right' thing to get excited about, and the 'right' amount of excitement over it. If you don't talk to strangers, then how do you make friends? Your friends now were strangers at some point, and if we hadn't talked, how would we have become friends? So who are the 'right' strangers to talk to, and who are not? Gee, being all mature and grown up isreally difficult eh!

How do you measure enthusiasm? excitement? right decibel of laughter? appropriate amount of sadness over something? right moments to cry?

If being all mature and grown up is being so calculated in your emotions that you can't even laugh whole-heartedly over a silly joke just because its a beautiful day and you're with your closest friends, then I'm better off labelled as immature!

Poised

adj
  1. Assured; composed.
  2. Held balanced or steady in readiness: stood poised for the jump.
n.
  1. A state of balance or equilibrium; stability.
  2. Freedom from affectation or embarrassment; composure.
  3. The bearing or deportment of the head or body; mien.
  4. A state or condition of hovering or being suspended.
So I am not poised, composed, classy, sophisticated!

I am not in a state of equilibrium! I feel the ups and the downs! I cry easily, and thus, I laugh easily. If something trivial brings me down, then something just as simple lifts my spirits! I feel emotions at least!

My *little girl* enthusiasm has nothing to do with how grown up or mature I am. I make my decisions, I am indepedent, I read about world issues, I hold strong opinions, I engage in intelligent debates, etc. But with the *little girl* enthusiam, making a wish if I shed an eyelash, saying jinx when two people say the same thing together, etc. makes it feel like I lived another day in my life, rather than I floating through one. I feel a lot of things in a day and thats what makes it so colorful!

So, I am a grown up - just a grown up who's living her life - with colors, emotions, zest, spices and the *little girl* enthusiasm! And I will always make a wish whenverI find an eye lash or see a shooting star...

1 comment:

sherene said...

Whoa, only a few posts old, and this blog is getting spam-comments!

I think this whole 'being-grown-up' business is just a hoax. The ones who do manage to be all poised and classy and whatever are probably yearning for some good ol' child-like fun! :)