Monday, November 19

I believe...

So things did fall in place finally…

When were they not in place? – for a whole of 3 weeks when my visa for my “holiday” was pending at a high comm., who refused to return it or even tell me when I could have it back. N all this time I thought I had the right to my own passport! N this was sort of getting in the way of my fancy shmancy BKK trip for which I had been preparing for over a month. There were going to be global visitors in town and I had to “earn” my trip there by doing a project with a “WOW” factor! So imagine my frustration when on a Monday at 1pm, I am staring at my air ticket for a 230 pm flight and STILL NO PASSPORT.

But like I said, things did fall in place.

The passport came at 530 pm, and my dear admin managed to put me on the 830 pm flight that night! (note – I hadn’t packed or called my parents abt the trip)

So I got here – I did a wizbang presentation, WOW’d a whole lot of people, and had a pretty good week. I am typing this in the car on the way home for the weekend and I think we’ve moved about 100 meters in the past 15 minutes. But I’m still smiling. After all, it’s the traffic in this country that taught me how to be patient…to an extent.

It’s strange being limited to the hotel and the office in a city where you spent your restless teens constantly moving from one mall to another. It’s been 5 years since I “lived” here. Over time, the visits have became shorter and less frequent and limited to time spent at home. but unlike other friendships, Bangkok and I have stayed as strong as ever. It delights me every time with it’s newfound chaos and order, making sure the shine never dulls away.

I indulged in a spa treatment or foot reflexology every day for the past 4 days and convinced myself that I deserve pampering myself. Top that up with authentic thai food everyday – and I was one happy camper – even if it meant working crazy hours instead of going shopping! The boss’s treat to us – an excellent dinner at Mezzaluna followed by drinks at the gorgeous Sirocco! Somewhere between the kiwi sorbet and the carnaroli risotto cooked in champagne, I think I thanked god for this light at the end of the tunnel!

I will soon lose my zen if this traffic doesn’t clear up – I need to get home now…have a yum home-cooked meal, watch some TV, and not have to care about chores and errands, or emails and conference calls.

5 comments:

sherene said...

yay for happy endings :) good job on being so f-ing zen ;) lol!

mangosteen said...

aah..i was wondering what your Gtalk nics were about... sounds like you had a great holiday-plus-work package!
Speaking of spas... did you know that the TV room at YIH is now the " massage room" ? Back massages, shoulder rubs, foot reflexology and ear candling, all done by authentic chinese uncle. Its doing booming buisiness these days

sherene said...

congrats on finishing the run :) i got sicker afterwards :-/ good thing i didnt run, after all..

iz said...

Ahhh. SOunds like something I would sell my kidneys for!

TS said...

:)

I like the look.