Wednesday, June 7

It's the good advice that you just didn't take

I think the human race is meant to thrive on irony, and has the uncanny ability to internalize the most unexpected and irrational things as its nature. As I type this, sitting in the dark, unable to sleep, I can think of several such ironies that have shaped my own rapports, relationships, and thus my outlook towards people.

Don’t we have the remarkable ability to hurt the people closest to us? Abandon the people we love so much? Ruin some of the best things in our lives, over reasons that seem trivial, minutes after the damage is done? Destroy something that we’ve always wanted, just as we are about to get it finally? Say things we don’t mean, and yet do them anyway? Call ourselves rational, and yet make decisions that we end up regretting later? Knowing that we'll be hurt, and yet, letting things be? Allowing others to be important enough...?

I confess – I have done most of the abovementioned myself, or have had them done to me, just like a majority of us.

Someone was once trying to tell me that they loved me and I was far too hurt by then to seek any sort of comfort in that love. I said I didn’t buy that and that no, they don’t actually love me. How much of that I actually meant, I don’t know. Was I angry, yes? Was I hurt, yes? But should I have said that? No. My bad? Yes.

That would be one confession that I had to make.

The conversation was never resumed – it was put on infinite hold.

Oh, how talented we are at hurting ourselves and those we love. And how we love to be trampled on. A masochist hides in all of us? Or are we plain stupid - and not the most superior species after all?

Because ass much as we seem to like to win, our conscious and rational actions and our decisions always seem to direct us towards losing - something or someone.

Irony bites, doesn't it?

2 comments:

Shishir said...

Sorry for tresspassing here, but tht was quite a generalization. I definitely don't intend to overpress my counter views on what you've posted, but those insidious elements of sarcasm in your writing compell me for this.

>>Call ourselves rational, and yet make decisions that we end up regretting later?

I believe that rationality implies a tacit and pragmatic process of thought/action/descision, taking in to consideration the existing state of affairs. Now that action or descision of yours, with equal probability can end up as a regretful or a pleasant outcome. But tht does not in any way entail the delusion of rationality.

>>our conscious and rational actions and our decisions always seem to direct us towards losing - something or someone.

Now this is something cynical and over generalized. Even you know that not all actions and decisions can be fruitfull or result in profit. So the fact that at times when your conscious descision deceives you, you cannot undermine the importance of a concious and thoughfull descision.

PS: These are my subjective views and do not in any way disparage your thinking.

Usha said...

About rationalism, i think there is a big leap in the statement- "tacit and pragmatic process of thought.....". I am saying there is an assumption here of rationality as something inherent, which may not be the case. I understand rationalism to be a consious train of thought- that involves analysis and reasoning of fact. The problem the writer has put forward touches issues deeper than facts. Instincts, feelings, desires, and impulses- we are not rational all the time. We couldnt be, cos we have our failings, but then these failings are the marks of human beings in making.