Sunday, April 23

Beautiful Stranger

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Best friends forever.

Bull shit.

As I discovered today.

There is no point in holding on to a handful of Polaroids because the color eventually fades away, and when you open that box of souvenirs, you find yourself staring at nothing but square pieces of plastic coated paper, with blurred, or better yet, no images.

Unless, of course, you take care of them. Phone calls, emails, visits. Frequent at first. n then a few. N then none. Or the customary ones. Large smiles, but no connection. At all.

A bland conversation, followed by a rushed goodbye, tc. He is guilty of the first, and I, of the second. N not it was not because I was feeling particularly bitchy at the moment. As a matter of fact, I was in a great mood, and thot it’d be great to catch up with an old old old friend. Boy, was I wrong.

Yeh, people grow up, people move on, people get distant. Should learn to let go of things gracefully. I know all that crap, and although heartbreaking at times, I have accepted it. You can say *keep in touch* to everyone, but only manage to do that with some. I get it.

But what bothers me is when someone keeps making u feel like you’re not doing enough to keep your end of the *bargain*. And claims that you are so important to them and that they care so much about you. They know you so well because they’ve known you forever, and blah blah blah.

And yet they have no clue about who you are, and what hurts you and what doesn’t. What irks you, and what pushes u and makes you go away. If they really did know you, then why would they keep the things that hurt, again and again?

I’ve changed. I know. Everyone has. He has too. We lead totally different lives, have our own group of friends, our own set of problems, our own goals, and plans. The only thing we have left in common is memories. And they’re precious. So don’t make them worthless for me.

Yeh, I’ll try to keep in touch. And yeah, next time, I am in the area, I’ll visit.

But don’t tell me I’ve changed and that I don’t care. Because so have you.

And the next time something big happens in my life, good, or bad, I wouldn’t tell you.

Cuz you wouldn’t know what it means to me anyways. Or, you’d manage to make a joke out of it, and me, while I wonder how it could possibly be funny.

Cuz you know me so well.

No comments: